As a Singapore Driving license holder, if you fancy driving on overseas roads, you need an International Driving License or commonly known as International Driving Permit or IDP. This permit is valid for a span of one year. Below are the steps to get an international driving license in Singapore.
As per the law, the automobile association of Singapore or AA are the only legally authorised organisation to issue International driving permits or International driving license in Singapore. In order to get one, you may visit them at one of their offices located as Kung Chong, Leisure Park Kallang, Pearls Centre or River valley. If all the requirements for an IDP are met, they can be issued on the spot and usually this whole process should not take more than an hour.
Who is eligible for Singaporean IDP and what documents should you present ?
- All applicants, Singaporean, Permanent residents or Foreigners are eligible to apply for IDP, provided they hold Singaporean driving license.
- IDP is not issued to foreigners holding their driving licenses issued by other countries. In this case, the foreigner may approach their local embassy to find out more of their respective procedures.
- The documents required to apply for IDP are NRIC and Singapore issued driving license.
Automobile association of Singapore also allows online application of IDP. The online application link can be found here.
Before you apply online :
One needs soft copies of the below documents for online application.
- Scanned copy of Singapore issued driving license- Both front and back
- Scanned copy of NRIC for Singaporeans/ Scanned copy of employment pass/ FIN for foreigners.
- Soft copy for recent passport-sized photograph of yours taken within the last two years.
Online application takes bit longer- compared to walk-ins. IDPs requested via online forms can be also self-collected around within 5 working days. Else they mail out using Singpost and takes 3- 5 business days.
Things to note:
- The validity of IDP is only one year.
- Your original Singapore issued driving licence should also be presented along with IDPs to drive overseas.
- IDP cannot be issued to holders of valid foreign driving licences. They must apply for the IDP in the country that issued their driving licence.
The fees to issue at the time of writing this article is around 20 SGD. Online application optionally requires SGD 5.50 more for courier services.